All this stuff is copyright protected, so please don't steal my photos, it's just wrong. In fact, click on the photo above and read an article on why it's wrong.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Getting Started

Once we bought the boat the first thing to address was the deck, like most old wooden boats, she leaks from above.  So we quickly put a layer of plywood and a couple of layers of Gaco deck sealer on the outside decks.  We only had a couple of weeks until the Seattle rainy season started so we had to work fast.
After sealing the decks as best we could, we started on the interior.  Our goal was to live aboard as soon as possible.  The interior of the tug was not original, the previous owner had built in a kitchen area and had converted the captains cabin into a head.  The fo'c'sle (bow area) was the sleeping area or stateroom.

fo'c'sle (stateroom)

We tackled the galley first, the counter tops were too high, there were no drawers and the stove/oven was a tiny electric thing that was just not going to cut it for every day cooking.  So it all had to come out. 
Bill built brand new cabinets with drawers.  We relocated the sink from the exact middle to off to one side to get more counter space and put the microwave under the counter.
We replaced the tiny electric boat stove with a full size gas oven (converted to propane) and lowered the counter top to a standard height.  Red formica went on top of the counters and what would have been dead space between the stove and fridge, we turned into a pantry can drawer.

We bought some white subway tiles at the re-store and to add a little color to the back splash, I decoupaged photos to a few of the tiles.  I painted some small boat cleats red and used them for our cabinet hardware.  We built a boat style dish cupboard that holds all our dishes, salad spinner, colander, mixing bowls, etc.  We now have plenty of storage in the galley.

I wanted something on the floor , so I painted a long narrow floor cloth.

Next up, the head.......

No comments:

Post a Comment