I sanded them down to bare wood and then applied 4 coats of Epiphanes and then another 4 coats of Captains Spar Varnish 2015. They turned out pretty nicely, especially considering those doors were put on this tug in 1925.
Since summer was almost over and the Seattle rainy season was on it's way, Bill decided to tent in the bow so we could work on the area all winter. Also we sleep under that deck and it leaked like a sieve, so.........
After removing the rotten deck beams, Bill found that the beam holding up the wheelhouse was also bad, it was solid when we checked from below but from the top it was all dry rot. Bill cut out the part of the beam that was bad and put temporary shoring in to keep the wheelhouse upright.
The next step was to cut and fabricate a replacement beam. Since the beam has quite a curve in it, Bill needed to build it in several pieces.
He used a bedding compound between the joints and attached everything using carriage bolts.
Then he slipped the beam in place using more bedding compound and lag bolts.
All the deck beams butt to this beam. The reason this beam rotted in the first place was probably from standing water leaking into the seam between the deck beams and the wheelhouse. We will add some sort of flashing to prevent this from happening in the future.
The next project before we could lay down deck beams was to replace a short wall on the starboard side that goes from the side deck to the bow deck. There was a porthole in this little wall and water had leaked in around the porthole. A step also goes here so we decided to get rid of the porthole, it was added at some point after the boat was sold by Foss, so it wasn't always there and we just couldn't see a reason to put it back in.
Bill cut the beams to fit, there was a unique little scarf in the top two beams, a bit like fitting a puzzle piece.
After dry fitting the beams I put on a couple of coats of red lead paint, this will help keep the wood from rotting in the future.
Beams go back in and secured with some pretty long and beefy lag bolts.
My job was to cut all the plugs to plug up the holes over the fastenings. Then install them all and slice off the excess to make them flush with the deck.
Then Bill used a door planer to plane the new deck planks down to the level of the old planks. He came back with a large orbital sander to make it all smooth.